Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Own Midnight Channel

XLTT
cinnamon roll
2 regrettable peanut butter sandwiches


I'm not sure if you have played Persona 4. If you know me then you know I have a habit of not shutting up about its absolute sheer brilliance. Well, one of the game mechanics is the dungeons are themed on the character's inner selves, their anxieties, etc. One character has a castle, a princess waiting to be rescued, another has a bathhouse stemming from sexual anxieties and being accepted. Another has a secret laboratory stemming from their anxieties of still being young. Personally, I think it's an awesome concept: we are what we fear most.
I am quite sure then that my own dungeon would consist of a cubicle lined office and my own shadow would be an office drone, delegating other, smaller drones to attack and heal accordingly. These are the things I really don't want to face in myself, resigning to a boring existence of working and sleeping, of being a coward who cannot do for himself, of not bothering with art or music or writing. I don't want to be that person however a part of me is that person. Like the character who doesn't want to admit to being young, I don't want to admit to getting older.
But that secret yearning for a dull, reliable existence... "I'm you and you're me." To accept that is a step needed to overcome it and move in the direction I need to move, edit what I need to edit, release what I need to release, play the shows I need to play... well play shows in general, maybe at the Starbucks? Anyway. That's my Midnight Channel dungeon. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment