Monday, March 30, 2009

The Hazards Of Love Rocks Your Ass Twice.

As a music reviewer, because even when you stop writing for papers and publications you are still at heart a reviewer, I am forced to think critically about what I listen to. It takes a band with a certain je ne sais quoi to really catch and hold my attention. The Decemberists were a band I once didn't much care for, then liked in theory, then loved wholeheartedly, then in general rather liked... I liked The Crane Wife but it did not have the same grip on me as previous efforts. It was fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I felt more of a personal connection with some of the songs on Picaresque and someone I was dating at the time.
So now that I'm not dating anyone, am used to being single and happy with it overall they go and release an album that makes me want to go out and love somebody despite its hazards. That's right, I freaking love The Hazards Of Love and why? Because it is a musical. It is an album that demands the listener's sustained attention for an hour. I'd love to see Guilermo Del Toro take this on as a directing project, given his work with the visuals of Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 1 and 2. This is not an album of singles and maybe that's why I love it.
Also, the last song, The Hazards Of Love 4 (The Drowned), There's something about the chorus here that actually did cause some tears to stream down my face while walking to work from the bus stop.
Of course, I have no intention of being with anyone right now at all, so instead I'll live vicariously through Margaret and William here. I may listen to this record in full again tonight when I roast a chicken I bought Saturday and make the video for tonight. I don't think I'll be eating any of it tonight, instead finishing the beef. I had a peanut butter sandwich, a bana and some tea for breakfast, 2 whole wheat english muffins with a little peanut butter, some salad, carrots and 2 cups of mint tea thus far today. Oh, on my last break I had 2 more english muffins, 1 with peanut butter and 1 with light strawberry cream cheese. I was ver concsious about chewing and taking my time as the whole affair took about 12 mintues (it used to take less than 7 with toasting time).

No comments:

Post a Comment